Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 yr old lab, puked last niggt, acting wobbly and dizzy. I…

Customer Question
11 yr old lab...

11 yr old lab, puked last niggt, acting wobbly and dizzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I live

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Its possible that she ate a stick of butter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Tule, 11 years

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Tule isn't feeling well. I'm concerned there is something going on other than ingesting butter. I would expect that to cause vomiting, but not being wobbly and dizzy. Has she eaten anything since then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not that i know of

Any more throwing up or only that one time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just last night. she is laying on the floor, hesitant to get up. vestibilar syndrome?

Is she tilting her head to one side or the other?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no she isnt doing that

Does she yelp or tense up when you push along her back or abdomen? It's possible that eating the butter caused inflammation of her pancreas, which is very painful. I wonder if she is reluctant to get up due to pain. Also, it may not be related to eating the butter at all. Older dogs can develop a number of conditions that cause vomiting and weakness, such as liver and kidney disease. If she has not had lab work done recently, I recommend doing that.

It would be worth a shot giving her some oral Pepcid to see if it settles her stomach if acid reflux could be contributing to this. You can give her a 40 mg tablet of Pepcid and see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will try that. doesnt seem to have tenderness

If that does not seem to help, I would get her in to the vet for some lab work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she jyst stood up, and she is standing, but wobbling slightly back and gorth
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
forth

There are a few conditions that older dogs can develop that can cause weakness, such as liver and kidney disease, hypothryoidism, hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease), and hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease), to name the most common. If she continues to be unbalanced I recommend having some lab work done to rule out these metabolic problems.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian