Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's been vomiting and has runny stool and has not been able…

He's been vomiting...

He's been vomiting and has runny stool and has not been able to hold food or water down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not sure however I think he licked another dogs poop when walking last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Socks 11yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Socks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Socks?

He has heart murmer and is taking enalapn 2.5 mg 2xdaily

3/23/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Socks has been vomiting and has runny stool. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
His gums are don't feel dry or sticky and when pulling skin the 2seconds
Phone call session started