Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old Samoyed puppy and she has been doing…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 4 month old Samoyed puppy and she has been doing coughs that sound like a humans cough that would have mucus. But she doesn't do it often. Probably three or four a day. Since two days ago. Yesterday, when I hugged her, I heard that when she breathes in and out, theres a wheezing noise coming from her when she's awake. I also heard it again after she fell asleep but it goes away. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She went to the dog beach last weekend but she should be fine since she got all her shots about three weeks ago

3/23/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your pup. The infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") is the most common cause of what you're hearing. It's very contagious and has an incubation period of 3-10 days and so if she were exposed to other dogs in that time frame - as appears to be the case - she could have been infected. The vaccine against kennel cough isn't completely protective but should reduce morbidity (severity of signs). Most dogs will normalize within 1-3 weeks from the onset of their signs. Dogs that don't improve dramatically within the initial week of their signs might benefit from one of the antibiotics of choice for this infection - doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate. How long has she been symptomatic, please?

I think for about two days.
Her coughs aren't often and it sounds smiliar to choking but only lasts for about a second or two.

Thank you. You can patient for up to 7 days. She doesn't sound badly affected. Don't hesitate to have her attended to by her vet if you believe that she's worsening (e.g., nasal discharge, increased respiratory rate over 30 breaths/minute, anorexia). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

How do I know if it's bad nasal discharge? Because she's always had a wet and sometimes runny nose but the vet said that was fine when we were getting her puppy shots

A small amount of clear discharge is normal. A cloudy/discolored discharge indicates a response by the cell-mediated immune system which most often indicates significant infection.

Should she still exercise daily?
She is also eating normally and playing normally.

She can do as she wishes but it would be ethical not to expose her to other dogs for at least 3 weeks.

Okay, sounds good! Should I take her to the vet right away to see if she needs any antibiotics or if she will be okay?

No, I recommend that you be patient for up to a week. Watch for signs of worsening as I posted above.

Okay. Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Dr. Michael Salkin, another thing I forgot to mention is that she's starting to lose her baby teeth so I initially thought she was choking because of that but she started wheezing as well. Would that also affect her?

No. All pups lose their baby teeth but don't choke and wheeze as she's doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi Dr. Salkin,She's eating and playing normally! Sometimes she sneezes or coughs when she wakes up and we notice like sandy or dirtlike mucus but only when she wakes up. Other than that, she's eating right and playing normally. Her weezing comes up sometimes after she pulls on the collar. We looked into buying a harness instead of a collar. Would her pulling on the collar cause an inflammatory response? I don't know how that can easily happen but we bought the harness just in case.

Thank you for the good update! A collar could irritate an already irritated throat but shouldn't be causing wheezing in a normal pup. In any event, a harness is a good choice for pups.