Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mixed breed beagle was chewing a small lamb bone. She is…

My mixed breed beagle...

My mixed breed beagle was chewing a small lamb bone. She is an aggressive chewer and often rolls a bone around in her mouth when it is small. I fear that she may have swallowed it. Help me make a decision about taking her to an emergency vet. She has vomited several times - mucous mostly. Otherwise, she is not lethargic and very much wants food, which I am holding off on

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?

She eats and chews everything. Tough keeping up with taking it away

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since you suspect she swallowed the bone?

2- To make sure I got this right, she started vomiting after eating the bone?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The dog had the bone about 8:30 last evening.....before that she had vomited undigested dog food. She vomited this morning - mucous - she has not eaten, although she acts hungry.

1- Is she not eating because you are not feeding her?

2- So, she had vomited before eating the bone, correct?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I fed her last evening and she vomited before eating the bone. She weighs about 40 lbs. She pooped last night around 11:30 and it seemed normal, small amount. I did not feed her this morning because of the vomiting.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No diarrhea, good color and formed.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the concern is that the vomiting can be caused by the bone being obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, if she had vomited before eating the bone there could be something else unrelated to the bone like simple gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home. If she continues to vomit the next step is a hands-on examination with your vet and x-rays as an initial screening test. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours; if you have not fed her since last night start the Pepcid AC, wait a few hours and feed her as I describe below.

3- Offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
This is the kind of advice I was looking for. I will certainly follow up with your advice and monitor her closely. I appreciate you knowledge and practical advice. Thank you so very much
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian