Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just want to know something. Dog. I just want to know if…

Customer Question
Just want to know...

Just want to know something

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

I just want to know if there is an OTC supplement or remedy I can give to a diabetic dog that has asthma/chronic bronchitis

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Tootsie, will be 14 on 4-22

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tootsie?

She is diabetic

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Tootsie has a chronic history of diabetes and you want to know if there is something available over-the-counter for asthma/chronic bronchitis. Is that a correct summary of your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has had xrays, no heart failure or trachea collapse

That is good to know. The best combination of over-the-counter remedies for asthma/bronchitis is with an antihistamine like Benadryl and using a nebulizer with saline. The Benadryl can be given every 12 hours and the nebulizer every 4-6 hours as needed. The nebulizer moistens the airways and helps to clear allergens, while the Benadryl inhibits histamine release, which is the main signal of asthma. Those would probably be the best help.

The Benadryl dose for a 25 lb dog is 6 mg, which is about 1/4 tablet. let me know if Tootsie weighs significantly more or less than that and I can give you the correct dose.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Has symptoms as post nasal drip, clearing of her throat, not a DEEP cough, sneezes also...vet thinks possibly asthma/chronic bronchitis

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs around 35#s...has been on doxcycline since December, doesn't seem to make any difference, hopefully the benadryl will
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I give her a new treatment??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I give her a neb treatment??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should i keep her on the doxycliclne??
At her weight, she can actually receive 1/2 to 1 full tablet by mouth every 12 hours as needed. The best way to give it is to put it in the food. Hopefully giving it like a treat will help. There are also treats called “pill pockets” that can help to give a pill. If all that fails, then giving the children’s Benadryl may be easier because it is liquid.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh i know how to give pills, i was asking about how to give her a neb treatment? And shoukd i keep giving her the docy4??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
doxycliclne
Being on an antibiotic for 3 months is an exceptionally long time, so my recommendation is to discontinue that and use other treatments instead that are not antibiotics. There are also cough suppressant medications that may be helpful. Some are available over-the-counter and some are from your veterinarian
The nebulizer comes with a mask, so you would want to just hold the mask in front of her face while the steam comes out. She will likely move her head , but you will simply adjust how you hold it and keep moving it in front of her nose. The other way is just to put her in a kennel and put the mask inside with her and she will get it that way too.

Just checking in. Have I answered all your questions?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian