Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 lb shihpoo of one eye turning, squinting, about 4 days.

6 lb shihpoo white...

6 lb shihpoo white of one eye turning brown, squinting, about 4 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

See above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't act like it hurts, white of one eye turning brown, squinting

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

He is 8

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​ould you be able to take a couple picture of the eye and the brown spot so I could see it? Use the paperclip icon to post the pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an eye anti biotic my doc gave me for a bacterial infection 2 weeks ago, want me to give him drops of that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was for my eye

Yes, looking now. Just a sec

Thank you. There is quite a difference. Was he squinty when he had the bacterial infection 2 weeks ago? Is there any drainage now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the bacterial infection, not him. His eye had been this way about 4 days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Normal drainage

Ah okay. So if he is squinty, there is a good chance he has a corneal abrasion. The cornea is a clear layer of cells that covers the frond to the eye. He may have gotten something in the eye that scratched it. Or, he may have rubbed his eye on something. The dilated capillaries and brown are from inflammation. So ideally, I am suppose to tell you to have your vet put some yellow dye in the eye to see if there is a scratch. But, what is the name of your antibiotic eye medicine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Moxifloxacin

I​ think I would make an appointment for the vet for tomorrow morning. If there is a scratch, the main thing is to prevent infection while it heals. Start using the moxifloxacin three times a day. If there is no improvement by morning keep your vet appointment. If you do see some improvement then keep using the eye drop for a week. That way, you will have an appointment on an Saturday and not end up at the expensive ER clinic if there is no improvement. Make the appointment now because they book up fast on Saturday mornings. How does that plan sound? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you.

Y​ou are very welcome. : - )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian