Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I opened a new question because I didnt think it was fair to…

Customer Question
Hey Doc, I opened a new...
Hey Doc,
I opened a new question because I didnt think it was fair to drag out follow ups on the other question much longer. I appreciate all of your help.I have managed to get Lattimore to continue eating with a lot of begging. Hes been eating 75% of his food each meal. I gave him his 9th tablet of enrofloxacin yesterday. This morning I fed him and gave him his 10th and what I hoped would be his final dose. He didnt take it well and kept spitting it out, So I kept giving it. He finally took it, walked into the bedroom and threw it up along with all of his food.I knew I wasnt going to be able to get him to eat more normal food after that, So I boiled him some plain chicken and white rice. He gobbled that right up and I came to work.I am trying to decide if I should give the 10th dose in 2 hours when I take a break and go home to let them out. Obviously theres a reason it suggested to give 10-14 days and I want to make sure to do whats best to eliminate this infection. But also want to do whats best for him short term. Do you have any thoughts? I planned on giving the pill in 2 hours and that being the last one. If he throws it up, he throws it up and I stop from there. Does that sound ok?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I don't continue giving a drug if an unacceptable adverse effect arises. There's no significant difference between 9 and 10 doses and so I vote for your calling it quits, waiting two days, and then having his urine rechecked. A complete urinalysis on urine obtained by cystocentesis should be performed and if the urine is dilute which makes for finding bacterial and cells difficult, a bacterial culture and sensitivity should be performed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!

You're welcome!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian