Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have moved to Guam a few months ago and my 4-year-old

Hi, I have moved...

Hi, I have moved to Guam a few months ago and my 4-year-old golden retriever has recently started having nosebleeds with a lot of blood and constant sneezing. He has had a CBC done and the vet diagnosed him with polycythemia. He then sent us home with an antifungal and an antibacterial medication. He did not have any nosebleeds while taking the medication but on the night of his last dose of the medicine he began to bleed from his right nostril only again. He had an overnight stay with the vet before being sent home with the meds and the vet said he sneezed out a huge mass out of his nose, he said that it didn’t appear to be a blood clot because it was solid. He wants to send the mass out to have a biopsy done to see if he can find out anything further but hasn’t really said anything else. Do you have any advice or thoughts on his condition? Any information would be super helpful.Thank you
Amanda Owens

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

Jasper, 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?

No everything that is reveant I have put in my question

3/23/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this but your vet is definitely on the right track.

My first though was a nasal fungal infection such as aspergillosis. The mass definitely needs to be sent out to be examined to see if it is a fungal granuloma. It could be a tumor (either benign or cancerous) as well, but my bet is on fungal at this point based on where you are living and Jasper's young age.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
do you know how the polycythemia ties into the fungal infection? Can that be a side effect of a fungal infection?

Yes it can. I was also going to mention that Babesia and Ehrlichia infections can cause both polycythemia and nosebleeds as well, but probably wouldn't be related to a nasal mass like what your vet saw whereas fungal such as aspergillus would. In any event though it would hurt to do a course of Doxycycline to be cautious. You might ask your vet his/her thoughts on this as well.

wouldn't hurt I meant to say

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson