Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gabby slipped off the window ledge/couch while looking out…

Customer Question
Gabby slipped off the window...
Gabby slipped off the window ledge/couch while looking out the window. I watched it all act happen an she jumped up with no“Yelp” or anything but had walked w her front paw up as to not put pressure. This is day 2 now. I’ve checked all parts of her front leg/paw/shoulder
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
After seeing that she won’t walk on her front paw after falling I checked ever part of her front leg n paw but not even a cry or yelp after finally watching and 100% sure it’s something in one of her toes but I would say even swelling is at most 15% and she lets me touch and grab . After 2 days not even a cry or whimper but still is walking on her 3 legs
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Gabby. Regretfully, it's nigh impossible for me to assess the extent of injury from afar. It's reasonable to assume that her not responding in a painful manner when palpated suggests a minor soft tissue injury - bruise, sprain, strain - and so beginning an analgesic trial at this time is prudent. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Should you not see improvement within a week of such a trial, Gabby's vet will want to examine that leg. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian