Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is broken out in hives and just vomited this happened…

He is broken out...

He is broken out in hives and just vomited this happened last night too and I took him to the vet who gave him benadryl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, that's the weird thing last night he may have but he didn't tonight

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Senior chief is his name, he is an 8 year old bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I don't think so

3/23/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this :(

I have a few questions:

What time did he last have Benadryl?

Are the hives getting better or worse?

How long ago was the vomiting?

the last time he had benadryl was around 10:30 last night, and the hives did get better. He also had benadryl during the day and yesterday morning when I took him to the vet (the hives vomiting combo happened last night as well). He vomited maybe 30 minutes ago and that was when I woke up and gave him more benadryl
I'm just worried that this is happening for the second night. When I spoke to the vet yesterday I told him that I suspected my dog had found a loose piece of medication on the floor (possibly doxycycline) but he didn't have anything weird tonight. What reason would this be going on for the second night, or is it possible the medication is still in his system, assuming our first guess about the doxy was correct?

Okay yeah it sounds like he's having a pretty rough allergic reaction. Rather than breathing problems like in humans, for dogs when an allergic reaction is severe they vomit. I would definitely continue the Benadryl 2 mg/lb every 8 hours, and if the vomiting happens again, I would also call his vet and ask about adding a short course of steroids to get the reaction under control. How is his gum color right now (pink, pale, white?), and also count his heart rate for me, how many times does it beat in 10 seconds?

It's very unusual for dogs to be allergic to doxycycline, so I suspect it was something else, but you will likely never know for sure. Once the immune system goes into overdrive like this it can take anywhere from 48 hours to 7 days for it to settle down again. So, stay on the Benadryl for a full 24 hours even after it looks better.

ok, his gum color is normal and his heart rate seems ok

Ok perfect, in that case it's just a waiting game.

ok, but I shouldn't be shocked that this is night #2 with the hives and vomiting? That isn't abnormal?

Abnormal, no. Just unfortunate because most times the reactions are not severe enough to cause vomiting. But, sometimes they are, and you are doing everything right to manage it. Just make sure you are giving enough Benadryl (2 mg/lb every 8 hours), and if the vomiting continues past this point, call your vet and ask about steroids to help. Also a Zantac every 12 hours will help settle the stomach AND it is a histamine blocker as well which means it can help work alongside the Benadryl to calm the allergic reaction so you could add that if you have it at home.

ok the vet I saw yesterday prescribed 1mg/lb of benadryl. Are you sure 2mg per/lb isn't going to be too much?

How much does he weigh?

50lbs

Yes the recommended dose range for Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg/lb every 8 hours. In the ER/ICU we usually start out at 1 mg/lb and then increase to 2 mg/lb in cases where the reaction is severe (vomiting for example).

you would recommend 100mg every 8 hours with a zantac?

Yes that's what I would be giving my own dog in this case

(and I might add a steroid)

Ok, I will follow that directive then. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson