Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12.5 year old dog had an abdominal ultrasound yesterday…

Hi, my 12.5 year...

Hi, my 12.5 year old dog had an abdominal ultrasound yesterday after his blood work showed some concerning values. The clinic that we normally deal with is closed, and I was hoping to just clarify what was meant by some of the results we obtained.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

The ultrasound showed target lesions throughout the liver and is heterogenous. The vet also mentioned a starburst pattern. I was just hoping to get some clarification in lay-man terms for this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I can give his recent medical history:

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog had an abdominal ultrasound and blood work that you would like to get some clarity. I am happy to help. What questions do you have?

Is your question the "heterogenous liver" and "starburst pattern'?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
basically yes. My understanding is that starburst pattern indicates bone cancer, and I'm not sure how extensive the hetergenous means (all lobes, vs one). I was a bit upset when our vet was explaining everything.
Phone call session started