Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vets only please. After a bout of diarrhea for 1 week, my…

Vets only please. After a...
Vets only please. After a bout of diarrhea for 1 week, my 10-year old Rottweiler was prescribed a course of Flagyl and Fortiflora and Royal Canine HP. I am gradually adding the HP to rice for over 4 days so to make a gradual transition. She'll have like 2 days with no stools and then a mushy poop, then again 2 days no stool and then mushy poop. I took her off the Fortiflora because read in some dogs it caused mushy poops. Now she is on Dr. Mercola's probiotics and enzymes. I have 2 questions:1) Any idea why she has 2 days no poop and then mushy poop? I would expect her poop to be extra dry and hard after 2 days of not going. It starts softish and then ends as a cow pie.
2) When on the HP my vet said to not give anything else. Thing is, my dog gets UTI's and urinary incontinence at times. It's odd she often gets these symptoms when she has mushy poops. I used to give her Cranvet a cranberry supplements and it always helped. But I guess now I can't? On top of that, the cranvet says not to give with diarrhea. I don't want to put her on antibiotics as she just finished the Flagyl. I also don't want her to get diarrhea from more antibiotics. I feel stuck between a rock and a cold place.
3/23/2018
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank your for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

I just have a few questions... first, did the flagl help? Second, has she been prone to soft stools her whole life or is this a new problem? And last.. is she having weight loss with the soft stools?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it did definitely help. She went from going out 10 times a day in liquid squirts with mucus to now shaped stool albeit on the soft side and ending in a cow pie consistency.This is a completely new problem. In all her 10 years she rarely if almost ever had diarrhea. Had a bout last summer and now again but much worse. It started when I was trying to feed her usual kibble with some grass-fed ground beef.No, not losing weight not is she losing her appetite.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
meant to say "nor" not not.

When we talk about diarrhea in dogs we frequently divide it into large intestinal problems and small intestinal problems..... the large intestinal problems tend to cause frequent stools. The small intestinal problems can cause what you are describing.... the no stools followed by mush. The volume of the small intestine is very large and if absorption and motility is not occurring properly there then you might not see a stool until the small intestine is backed up and then it would be a large volume of soft stool. Food allergy can cause the small bowel diarrhea so the HP is a good start to solving this problem. It is important that you feed nothing else that will trigger inflammation in the intestine. As long as the cranberry supplement is just cranberry it is probably fine. Dogs react to proteins typically and the cranberry wouldn't have protein. I would say there is a very good chance it will not interfere and if she really needs it I would continue to give it.

I'm not sure why the container would say not to give with diarrhea... it really shouldn't be a problem unless there are ingredients in it that I don't know about. You could call the company and ask why that statement is there. Maybe there is something in it that causes the runt to be dilute and with diarrhea it could cause dehydration.

I hope that helps, but if you have more question please feel free to ask.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My vet thinks she has IBD. Is IBD something affecting the small bowel? She also has this annoying lip smacking thing going on often at night and during the day and my vet thinks it's acid.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, are there any conditions that may cause diarrhea and symptoms of a UTI at the same time? She seems to get them both at the same time often.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

IBD absolutely effects the small bowel. And lip smacking is something we see with intestinal upset and acid reflux. One thing that I would ask your veterinarian to check is his vitamin B12 level. Dogs that have small intestinal problems that interfere with nutrition absorption can become vitamin B12 deficient. This can make their diarrhea worse. Checking that can both confirm that this is a small intestinal problem and help you do something to improve it by supplementing B12.

The diarrhea and UTI are not usually related except that there is a lot of bacteria in stool and if the diarrhea is getting on or around the vulva it can lead to a UTI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IBD can affect both large and small bowel? Because when she had diarrhea for a week in many liquid squirts and mucus. the vet said it was her large bowel. These 2 days no poop and then next day mushy poop has been going on for just 4 days. Is that enough to deplete her of b12? She had a senior panel and urinalysis, would that have detected low b12?

B12 would not be on a routine test. IBD can effect both small and large intestine.... although it is a bit strange in your case. I don't usually see if effect one and then the other in this short of a time span. But it is possible. And B12 is usually low just as soon as you see the diarrhea.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian