Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's lethargic and seems out of it. Normally he's a of

He's lethargic and seems...

He's lethargic and seems out of it. Normally he's a bundle of spring-loaded Boston Terrier energy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Diesel is almost 3yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Diesel?

He'll be 3 years old on May 24th

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diesel?

He's always been healthy, rambunctious & happy. Spoiled.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's blinking slowly, seems sleepier than usual & shows little interest in play. That the strangest thing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
35lbs. Big for a BT, but healthy as a horse before Sunday night. Took him to our regular vet. Blood work & stool sample negative for parasites or abnormality, but...still...he's just not himself.
3/23/2018
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for you question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me if he has any other symptoms other than being slow.... does he seem painful ever? does he ever cry out? Is he reluctant to jump up? Is he otherwise normal.... does he have a normal appetite? Is he drinking normal amount of water?

Did your veterinarian find any abnormalities on exam?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No sign of pain, and jumps on and off bed. Ours is pretty high. He's eating, but not as much maybe. He's never been a big drinker, but he's drinking as much as normal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vet found no abnormality in exam, blood sample or stool sample.

So lethargy alone is a very nonspecific symptom and can be caused by countless problems.... everything from toxins to injuries to pain to neurologic problems.

Many, many of these problems can be detected on bloodwork.... so the fact that you have normal bloodwork is a good start. If the bloodwork is normal and they are stable we will often give them 24-48 hours to see if they improve because some toxins or mild problems will resolve on their own. It sounds like you have given it plenty of time and you are not seeing improvement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct. And that's what has me so worried.

So then it is time to look further for the problem. The next step is X-rays and a urinalysis. Sometimes something simple like a bladder infection can make them feel worse than you expect and you won't know if you don't look. The X-rays are a good screen... they check for pneumonia and give you a general idea what is going on in the abdomen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Call vet back in the morning to schedule x-rays. Check.

Unfortunately without more specific signs of where to look it becomes a puzzle and a search... if they have coughing you know to look at the lungs, or if they have pain you know to look at the spine... but with no clues you are just blindly searching. And if the basic tests don't show any answers then you have to go to more advanced testing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could poison be the cause?

Yes.... but one of the hallmarks of poison is that they tend to either get rapidly worse or get better as the toxin leaves their system. It would be rare to be sick and not getting a lot worse or a lot better in this time period.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Huh. Allergy to something?

I would definitely do the urine and X-rays.... the more advanced testing can be expensive. Sometime we rely on response to treatment to help us know what is going on.... we try treating for pain and see if they improve. Or we try treating for nausea and see if they improve. That can give us a clue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have pet health insurance and a good vet. I wanted a second opinion. Thank you.

The vast majority of allergies in dogs cause itching and external symptoms. There is one thing I would ask your vet about that might not show up on routine bloodwork and can just cause lethargy and that is a hormone imbalance called Addison's. If nothing is coming up abnormal ask them to check for that.

Best wishes!

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian