Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shaking, no vomiting, won’t eat or drink. No nothing

Shaking, no vomiting, won’t...

Shaking, no vomiting, won’t eat or drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No nothing unusual

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bull and he’s 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bull?

Husband says he ate 2 baby back ribs

3/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

The signs started after eating the ribs?

How long ago?

Paul

He had the baby back rib bones around 12:00 in the afternoon and seemed fine until about 6 o’clock at dinner time he drink a little bit of water

Okay so that sounds like a pretty strong correlation between the ribs and the signs

But we dont want to get fooled here and miss something

Gums are pink?

Heart rate? Pit hand on chest behind left elbow to measure

Breathing rate?

Abdominal swelling?

Paul

Gums are pink
I believe I got about 110 beats a minute for the heart and around 60 A minute breathing And no swelling in the stomach
This is been going on for about five hours well we are texting it seems he finally stop shaking and fell asleep

Okay the heart rate and breathing are both fast

I am having a hard time reconciling the ribs with the signs

And he is eleven years old.....

Lets keep a close watch on him and can you update me in an hour?

Paul

I’ll update you in an hour it seems as soon as he fell asleep his breathing slow down a little bit but I don’t know about his heart if he stays like this I will check them both an hour and send you a message back thank you very much yes I will update you in an hour it seems as soon as he fell asleep is breathing slow down a little bit but I don’t know about his heart if he stays like this I will check them both an hour and send you a message back thank you very much

You are very welcome

I am worried about pancreatitis, gastritis but also other inflammatory intra-abdominal processes

Standing by

Paul

OK I’ll keep an eye on him and update in an hour

Thanks

Paul

Stomach still don’t feel swollen down to about 45 breaths a minute The heartbeat didn’t seem to change

That is good

We are going in the right direction on the breathing but that heart rate is still high

How does he look?

Paul

He looks Ok he’s trying to sleep but I think he’s scared because he wants to be touching me constantly and shaking comes and go’s .I pushed on her stomach in a lot of areas and he don’t seem to have any pain there

Okay

My cautious side has to say have him examined- I dont take chances and if there is something serious going on in the abdomen we need to know sooner rather than later

But if you want to keep a watch tonight I understand

Paul

I’ll have him checked out thank you very much

Thank you and welcome

Please update me after the visit I will be here

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Sure will thank you
Bull was examined at hospital and they think he’s passing the bone we discussed and having a hard time of it . They gave him fluids and a couple other meds and sent him home but they wanted to keep him for 24 hours .
It would have cost and extra $1700 to keep him overnight so I brought him home and monitoring him and we’re hoping it passes .they can’t tell if it in the colan or intestines . They also said he has a in large liver and spleen but think it’s not causing a problem because there no blood or fluid around it

Thanks for the update

Please keep me posted

At some point having the spleen and liver ultrasounded would be good idea

Paul

Your welcome and Yes we discussed bringing him back for that . I will keep you informed on progress thank you so much

10-4

Bull is doing much better he’s looking like his old self again thank you very much for all your help doc

Good stuff!

Thank you for the update

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
He’s doing real well , I still have him on a blan diet of boild chicken and rice but was going to start mixing it with his pure being dog food tomorrrow and do that for a few day then go to just dog food again and hopefully transitions to dog food without any problems. He seems to be getting regular again and is acting himself again which is a blessing . He’s Great Dane pit mix and the sweetest boy , we didn’t think he was gonna make and want to thank you so much for everything .

Great news!

Very welcome

Paul