Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About December my 7 year old female boxer started having…

About December my 7...

About December my 7 year old female boxer started having trouble walking. Her back legs slip and slide on our tile floors. We took her to our vet and they did a CBC, X-rays and her yearly exam. The vet said that she didn’t see any musculoskeletal problems and that it had to be neurological. I told the vet that I had run a diffuser in our bedroom because several of us were sick. She told me that shouldn’t have affected my baby, but I read an article the other day that clove oil is bad for dogs and that was one of the oils in the blend and that it can interfere with their body processes. She also has fallen and seems to twitch kind of like a seizure, she doesn’t foam at the mouth and her eyes aren’t dialated and when I told the vet she didn’t seem worried about it. Now we’ve noticed she’s losing weight and she’s never really been that skinny.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I think that’s about all I can think of she is spayed and did have a very bad uterine infection a few years back. But she fully recovered from that, not sure if that matters.

3/23/2018
Jillian Costello

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian. What is your dog's name? How often does she have the seizure-like episodes?

Her name is Blaze. :) It has happened at different times of the day, the first time was early morning before I left for work. I don’t think she was overly excited, they next time was out in our backyard. She started to try and run to the back fence and just froze and fell. Last week I came home and she was in front of our garage door when I walked in the house. Then two nights ago she had been outside all day because I wasn’t able to come home for lunch that day and she was laying on her bed in our room and it started. In the time it took me to wash my hands and come out she started and it was about over. So I sat down and let her till she seemed ok. I gave her a couple of minutes and asked her if she needed to go outside and she got up and went outside.
The first episode happened around Christmas and the second a few weeks later. But the last two were within a week of each other and now she’s losing weight.

OK. That certainly sounds very scary and very serious. When I hear descriptions like these I usually think of two areas of concern, her neurologic system like your veterinarian said, and her heart. Boxers are wonderful dogs, but they are unfortunately prone to developing tumors and heart problems. Blaze's symptoms could be explained by either of these. She could be experiencing brief seizures and ataxia, or wobbliness, from a small tumor or mass along her brain or spinal cord, disc disease, or an infection. Or she could be experiencing syncope, or fainting, if she is starting to have trouble with her heart. I know these are very scary things to think about, but they can be treated if diagnosed early enough. I would recommend that you contact a veterinary internal medicine specialist to evaluate Blaze. That will be your best bet to get to the bottom of what is causing her illness. You can find the closest one one this website: http://vetspecialists.com/ . If you're not able to travel to someone, most specialists are happy to consult on cases and review radiographs and test results and work with you and your regular veterinarian to develop a plan. If you can, take video of Blaze as she is having one of these episodes, and for a couple minutes afterwards to share with your veterinary care team. This information can be very important to help determine what is going on.

I hope this information has been helpful for you and Blaze. Please let me know if you have any other questions! If not, please give me a 5-star rating above, or let me know what I need to improve on!

I was doing a little research earlier to see if I could find something to bring to my vet. I found information on canine degenerative myelopathy. I was reading the symptoms and a lot of them match what is happening to Blaze, aside from seizures, she has weakness in her back legs and when she stands her paws can be really close together or at an awkward angle. She’s lost muscle mass in her back end and the vet noticed that but thought it could be due to inactivity from an injury to her spinal cord. I read they can do a DNA test to check for a mutated part of DNA. Do you know how expensive this test usually is? I know it might differ from my area but just a ball park number would be good.

Most genetic testing is around $100-$250, but I am not familiar with this test or what lab is performing it.

It looks like it is $65 provided through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals at the University of Missouri: https://www.ofa.org/order-tests?kit=DMKIT1#

I looked up the organization that the article I was reading referenced and it is the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals. It says it’s a no-profit organization based in Columbia Missouri.
Lol! Great minds think alike!

Haha touche!

Would you suggest that I talk to my vet first or go ahead and order the test maybe to already have results to bring to her?

I would contact your vet first. Sometimes they have deals worked out with labs for discounts on some testing. You will have shipping charges to get the sample to them too.

Oh ok, I’ll do that! The hardest part is that Blaze has never whined or acted like she was in pain. She still wags her numb when I talk to her and I think she’s tougher than me. Thank you!

They are very resilient and very fragile all at the same time. You are very welcome, and good luck!

Remember to rate your experience at the top so we know we did a good job, or what we need to improve on!

Jillian Costello