Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm just researching slipped hocks. My dog may have that but…

Customer Question
I'm just researching slipped...

I'm just researching slipped hocks. My dog may have that but not sure yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with May?

Poppi is n agility training and the trainer noticed a back leg seemed straighter than the other ate times when jumping

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?

POPPI is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?

Her name is ***** ***** nope

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! Is Poppi bothered by it? Any lameness in the past 3 years?

"Slipped hocks" are a layterm for a hock that's in an overextended position. In young puppies it can be corrected by splinting for a few weeks. In adults it's not so easily corrected...surgery would most likely needed. But honestly, if it has not caused her a problem in 3 years I wouldn't do anything.

Here's a website that may be helpful:

https://www.topdoghealth.com/library/orthopedic-condition/articles/hock-instabilitydislocation/

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
She has started agility training and just seems limited in the jumping. She’ll only just got a short time

Talk to your veterinarian. If she truly has this condition then getting Poppi on glucosamine and fish oils may be helpful for longterm symptoms as an alternative to surgery. How big is she?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
She is a 16# ***** I have been leaning toward a splint but will talk to my vet

At that weight I'd give 1/4 of an adult dosage of glucosamine and fish oils. You can get those over the counter. The fish oil capsules can be punctured and drizzled on the food. Over time these really help to decrease inflammation in the joints.

Glad that Poppi hasn't had too much of a problem so far. Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago

How's Poppi doing? Anything else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We go see the vet tonight

Great! Let me know if you have further questions! Kindly consider rating my answer; I am not compensated otherwise.

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian