Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think his salivary gland may be infected. His name is

I think his salivary...

I think his salivary gland may be infected.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's a 7-year-old retired racing greyhound

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gordy?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gordy?

He has some swelling under his chin, almost like a goiter, but when I did a Google image search, it looked more like the images for salivary gland infection

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you send me a photo? That would really help me pin this down for you?

Any facial swelling?

Still eating?

Paul

He hasn't had much of an appetite, but we also moved recently, so that's not entirely unusual for him. I put a scrambled egg in his breakfast and a little chicken skin in his dinner to entice him, and he ate it right up.He also is a habitual shaker (shakes his collar enthusiastically in the morning to wake me), and he hasn't done that the last few days. I loosened his martingale collar just now to make him more comfortable. It wasn't tight, but it wasn't as loose as it should be.The swelling is more like a sag, but it's definitely new. It's at the base of his jaw,What's the best way to send a picture?

Thanks for extra history

You can attach the photo using the paperclip on the toolbar

Paul

Got it

Give me a minute

Paul

Okay I dont think that is salivary gland as no drooling etc

This is either an enlarged sub-mandibular lymph node, fatty lump or less likely (due to location) something associated with the thyroid or parathyroid glands

We should have that lump aspirated and the cells sent in to the lab for analysis- That will give you your diagnosis fast and without a lot of cost

Send the results to me-> My wife is a board certified vet pathologist and will review them for you at no charge

Okay?

Paul

Ok, thank you. Do you think this is something I should handle tomorrow, or do you think it can wait until after the weekend? I ask because I'm supposed to register for a training for work tomorrow, but if he should go to the vet right away, I can cancel.

Ideally I would take Bleu in tomorrow

Sorry to be a downer but better now then later

Okay?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Ok, on it. Thank you!