Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has had lameness in one leg for 2-3 weeks, and the vet…

Customer Question
He has had lameness...

He has had lameness in one leg for 2-3 weeks, and the vet did not see any obvious cause. Today he started having lameness in the other hind leg, too. There is no known injury. I am hoping there is a simple reason for it. He is only two years old. Could it be his anal glands? He never had them extracted. I do not know what normal glands are like, but poking around to see if any vertebrae were out of place, I noticed them and started to wonder.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, neither the vet nor I have been able to find anything. It does seem like a vertebrae could be out of place above his hips, but I do not know what normal feels like.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Zuko.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zuko?

Not really. He is a raw fed moyen poodle. He is not neutered because of separation anxiety..

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also, he is lame when waking up, but it was going away after around 5 minutes from getting up, but now it goes away much less often, but still sometimes it goes away after we go outside and he runs around. This made me think it was a circulation problem, but the second hind leg has me wondering again.
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me a bit more about his lameness. First, is it something that gets better with rest or when he rests does he get stiff. Also, did the veterinarian take X-rays?

No x-rays or other imagery has been taken yet. She suggested rest for six weeks, but because it was getting better with exercise and worse with rest, I did not follow that advice. I have been walking him or letting him run off leash three times per day still. Today when both legs went lame, I worked him a little in the house and then brought him outside and he got much better...until he laid down again, and then we went back to square 1.

So, Dogs that get stiff when they sleep and are worst when they initially get up usually have joint problems (vs soft tissue problems that get worse with excercise). Often arthritis, but your dog pretty young for arthritis. There is a form of arthritis called immune mediated arthritis. This happens when their immune system starts to attack they joint.

Fundamentally, you need X-rays to see what the joints look like. Without know that you are just guessing. You kind of have the right thinking... rest works well with soft tissue injury, but with joint problems it isn't usually the solution

With joint problems you can use anti inflammatory drugs to get inflammation in the joint down and glucosamine to promote joint health. But to understand what might be appropriate for exercise and know how likely they are to make a complete recovery you need an X-ray to see where the problem is.

OK, thanks.

Best wishes!