Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Beagle is coughing, but I think it is Kennel cough. I…

My Beagle is coughing, but...
My Beagle is coughing, but I think it is Kennel cough. I have a video of him coughing last night. He did get a vaccination for kennel cough prior to attending doggie daycare. I have kept him home since he has been sick and want him to be 100% prior to taking him back. I will not hesitate to take him to the Vet, but if he doesn’t need to go would rather not go (expensive). https://youtu.be/_oAtKc59rS0 here is the link of Clue my 1 1/2 year old Beagle.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the video. Please give me a moment to take a look at it...

Sarah, that's a fairly typical non-productive cough of infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough). Please note that the vaccine isn't fully protective but can reduce morbidity (severity of signs). Keeping Clue as quiet as possible and dosing him with a teaspoon of honey every few hours should keep the cough at bay. Avoid over the counter cough suppressants containing dextromethorphan due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at higher doses. Most dogs will normalize within 1-3 weeks. If I don't see a positive change in the initial 10 days following the onset of coughing, I'll prescribe one of the two antibiotics of choice - doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much. I will give him some honey and if things do not clear up in the next 5 days or so I will reach back out for antibiotics. Thanks a ton my mind is at ease, I’m not worrying about him as much. Thanks again.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Awesome! Will do thanks a ton! You’re the best.

Thank you for your kind words and accept. I appreciate it.