Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A have a 12 year old Cockapoo. For years she has suffered…

Customer Question
A have a 12...

A have a 12 year old Cockapoo. For years she has suffered from a partially collapsed trachea. She has been coughing more than usual. It’s a dry hacks cough. For the past few days I’ve been giving her 2-3 doses of Benadryl each day. The coughing is worse at night. Prednisone seems to help a lot more than Benadryl. I don’t live close to a Vetenarian and will be unable to get her to one until tomorrow afternoon. The last time I gave her Benadryl was at 1:pm today. She weighs 18 lbs. would it be a problem if I gave her 5mg of prednisone tonight. I’m a nurse anesthetist and have listened to her breath sounds and she isn’t wheezing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Sammie...she 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sammie?

12

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sammie. Please note that of all the therapies recommended to address collapsed trachea, antihistamines aren't found as they're drying and can potentiate coughing. Prednisone is appropriate antiinflammatory therapy and can be dosed at 0.25 - 0.5 mg/lb every 12-24 hours and then tapered and discontinued after 5-7 days of use; only short term use is recommended. Please review my entire synopsis of collapsed trachea and then return to our conversation with additional questions or concerns...

Treatment for collapsing trachea is multimodal. It consists of cough suppressants, antiinflammatory medication (the steroids), bronchodilators, and in severe cases, surgically fluoroscopically, or endoscopically placed stents to decrease the severity and frequency of cough and associated clinical signs.

Acute general treatment involves supplemental oxygen and the judicious use of sedatives and cough suppressants such as acepromazine and butorphanol respectively. Butorphanol is a narcotic antitussive which can lessen acute severe cough and respiratory distress. Acepromazine can provide sedation that breaks the cycle of airway irritation and coughing when a bout of extremely severe, collapsing trachea-related coughing occurs.

Chronic treatment involves weight loss because obesity leads to decreased lung expansion and increased breathing effort; antitussives which help reduce irritation or damage to the tracheal epithelium from chronic cough such as butorphanol, hydrocodone, or diphenoxylate hydrochloride and atropine; antiinflammatory therapy to decrease larygneal or tracheal inflammation - steroids should be tapered and discontinued after 5-7 days of use, however; bronchodilators may benefit dogs with intrathoracic - within the chest cavity - collapse or expiratory effort that doesn't improve with inital therapy - terbutaline, albuterol, and theophylline are bronchodilators to consider; and, finally, surgical stenting in the most severely affected dogs.

Feel free to share our conversation with Sammie's vet. Her prognosis for survival is good. With appropriate therapy most dogs show improvement but with varying degress of persistent symptoms. The prognosis for cure is poor because collapsing trachea is irreversible and progressive. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have bronchodilators for her but right now the biggest problem is the coughing. I wanted to make sure there wouldn’t be an interaction with giving prednisone and Benadryl. Even though the last dose was at 1 pm. I was unaware Benadryl could worsen the problem so I won’t give her anymore

The two can be given concurrently but it is best that Benadryl be discontinued. If you don't have a narcotic cough suppressant at home you can see if a teaspoon of honey every few hours helps control that cough. It can soothe the oropharynx although it can't reach the trachea, of course.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

That’s fine... I’ll just give her 5 mg of prednisone tonight and in the morning. I’ll take her to the veterinarian tomorrow afternoon. She isn’t experiencing a severe attack. If that were the case I’d be rushing her to a veterinarian even though it’s over an hour away. Thank you for the advice.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.