Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is limping on his right leg. He is 12 years old and was…

He is limping on...

He is limping on his right leg. He is 12 years old and was at the vet on Friday with an ear infection. He was given a shot for infection and also ottoman drops.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I've checked it and I can't see any wound. He was also groomed on Friday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Boxer?

12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boxer?

She told me he needs his teeth extracted

3/22/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I will be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about your boxer. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
I guess they given his age you probably have some arthritis in his joints. there is a possibility that he could have injured himself inadvertently at the groomers on Friday or at home without you knowing. You have a few options you can certainly continue to rest him and see if time will allow him to heal. If not and you are planning on going in for a recheck of his ear infection then I would recommend that you have your veterinarian examine his leg to determine if it's his shoulder elbow or paw. They're veterinarian can also rule put any possibility of a wound or infection. He is an older dog so we have to make sure we don't miss any other serious diseases related to his bones however if this came on quite suddenly grooming then it was likely related to that. I am certainly not blaming everything and it would be wise to maybe call them and see if they know of anything that happened or if he was extremely stressed during the appointment.
I guess that given his age...
I apologize for any auto correct typos. Again I am not blaming anyone but maybe just the stress love being at the groomers was enough to irritate his joints. Your veterinarian may be able to prescribe a short course of an anti-inflammatory in order to make him more comfortable and see how he responds.
Do you have any questions or concerns? Like I said I would give it a little bit of time or if you feel that you've given it enough time then I will certainly follow up with your veterinarian and either do a trial with some anti-inflammatories and strict rest or consider some x-rays to rule out any possibility of something more serious. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5-star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I'm going to keep him quite and give this a little time.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I would like a receipt for my charges.
Unfortunately I don't have anything to do with the charges, but you can contact customer service and they should be able to help you out with that. How are things going? Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day. Dr. N
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian