Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old Maltese started with liquid to soft diarrhea…

Hi! My 10 year old...
Hi! My 10 year old Maltese started with liquid to soft diarrhea 2 days ago which has gotten a little firmer (but still very soft) and less frequent. It is a dark green now. Her appetite, thirst and energy are normal. She has Cushings and is taking Trilostane 5mg in the morning and 3mg in the evening. She also has grade 3 mitral valve prolapse but other wise is very healthy. She always has normal stools. She takes a dog probiotic daily which I've doubled since the diarrhea started.
My vet is in surgery all day tomorrow and isn't too worried since her appetite, drinking and energy are normal. I'm concerned though. Thank you!
3/22/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am doctor Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about your pet. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. How much does she weigh?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
10.5 pounds.
obviously you take very very good care of her and it is possible that she could just have a mild colitis that is unrelated to her eating anything unusual. She obviously has some underlying health issues that can sometimes cause some stress and stress a long can sometimes cause diarrhea. The easiest thing for you to do would be to continue the probiotic and implement some Fiber. Metamucil is a great fiber source that can help with colitis and loose stool. Please use the original Metamucil and not the flavor type. You can give her 1/2 teaspoon twice daily to help with loose stool. Just makes it in her food. Also ensure that she's drinking plenty of water.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'm concerned she may have gotten rodent poison on a walk. We live in a semi tropical urban area that pet owners have complained about people using rat poison for the tree rats we have in abundance. I didn't see her eat anything that looked like poison but she eats everything she can find on walks that has an organic base. Would she seem more ill if that's the cause?
stress alone could cause diarrhea. I would expect her to see more ill. She would be lethargic, weak with pale gums. Make sure you monitor gum color and ensure that she is nice and pink and that her energy level is normal. Your veterinarian can always check a clotting time to make sure that things are okay. If things are getting worse and certainly take her in sooner rather than later. This just sounds like in mild colitis or stomach upset from getting into something that she shouldn't have.
I would simply and the fiber source and see how she respond. If you don't have access to Metamucil then Benefiber is a good alternative. I like the combination of probiotics, increased fiber and bland diet.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'll definitely try the fiber! She hasn't been stressed and is a very confident girl. I think she ate something that disagreed with her. Thank you for your help!!
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week please keep me posted. If things are not improving you can certainly contact me back. I understand your concern. Please take care and hope to hear from you soon. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Elizabeth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tillie. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian