Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I came home and my 35 pound dog had Kwik seal on her paws…

Hi, I came home...

Hi, I came home and my 35 pound dog had Kwik seal on her paws and it was on the carpet. I don’t know if she ingested any and I wiped it off her paws. I read that that product has only .1-1% of antifreeze in it and it is a bigger product but i’m still concerned. It said not to induce vomiting but please help

3/22/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. Good you cleaned this off.

I have been trying to find the list of ingredients; there are more than one product that Kwik Seal makes. Do you the label to tell me exactly what the ingredients are or the full name of the product?

Okay.

The big concern would be an ingredient called ethylene glycol.

It’s Kwik Seal kitchen and bath adhevsice caulk. It says it contained .1-1% of ethylene glycol

So it is the dangerous antifreeze, but a very small amount. How long ago did this happen?

If she ate a good bit of the caulk, it could make her sick. If she only had it on her feet and did not ingest any, she should be fine.

A veterinary hospital or emergency clinic would have the antidote for ethylene glycol. It is hard to know if she needs it or not.

Between a half hour-hour ago. I’m not sure if she ingested any, usually she enjoys to play with things but not legitimately eat it. I cannot tell if she licked it off the floor or the tube or not but there was none on her face. What do you mean by sick?

Doing some research; there is less toxicity seen with caulk (1% ethylene glycol) than with antifreeze (98%).

Ethylene glycol symptoms are acting drunk, vomiting, and can cause kidney failure if enough is eaten.

You could call veterinary poison control; they have the largest date base of things that dogs eat and what to expect. There is a fee for the call. (###) ###-####/p>

Continuing to research.

The tube is very large and it there was only a small amount I believe that she could have ingested. I gave her a lot of water because I read it can balance out pH and she is eating normally.

It looks like dogs need to eat a lot of caulking to get enough EG (ethylene glycol) to get sick. Just liking the paws would probably not be a dangerous dose.

Please let me know if this is helpful and how she is doing.

There is a possibility of her licking it off the carpet but once again a very small amount in accordance to the tube size
I’ll update you more in a few hours with her behavior, if that helps.

If she is OK and not showing signs in a few hours, she should be fine.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!