Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

When my yorkie get excited she coughs. Venus two years old.

When my yorkie get...

When my yorkie get excited she coughs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Venus two years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Venus?

Two yeares

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Venus. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Do you feel like this is a new problem with her or has been getting progressively worse this time? Many small breed dogs have something called a collapsing trachea. It is a congenital problem that many little dogs have often times when they get really excited it will cause them to cough. Why tracheal collapse occurs is unknown, although a congenital abnormality, in which the cartilage of the tracheal rings is less cellular and therefore weaker than normal, is suspected.Most cases of tracheal collapse are treated with cough suppressants, bronchodilators, corticosteroids (to control inflammation), and/or antibiotics. In obese patients, weight loss helps decrease respiratory effort. Although treatment is not curative, a study released in 1994 showed that 71 percent of dogs treated medically showed a good long-term response. I have also tried using antihistamines with these dogs if I suspect that there may be an allergic component to the cough.
My advice to you would be to monitor her and if things seem to be progressing and getting worse and you could certainly try the antihistamine and I can give you a dose if you provide me with her weight. If that does not seem to be improving the situation that she may have to go in for an exam in order to get some medication to make her more comfortable and decrease the frequency of the cough.
This is an issue and we suspect that she may have a respiratory infection then I would certainly advise you to take her in in order to get some antibiotics.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when she cough it seems like she has a problem breathing than she ok after
That is a very common symptom. You may even be able to post a video if you would like to try. Is this something that just started within the last few weeks? Has she been boarded or around any other dogs lately?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no this started one year ago
Okay. And I suspect she may be dealing with collapsing trachea. You can certainly go online and pull up some videos of what it sounds like and see if it is similar. If you would like to try a low dose of an antihistamine it is certainly safe and sometimes can be effective. If the condition seems to be getting much worse I have used cough medication such as hydrocodone or cerenia regularly. Cerenia is actually an anti-nausea medication but is used for coughing and dogs off label. It has been shown to work very well and I have many dogs on it. Unfortunately I would have to get it through your veterinarian and the dose is so much more than the anti-nausea dose.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'm happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will bring her in the vet and has her examined
Sorry that was supposed to say unfortunately you would have to get it through your veterinarian.
I think you will feel much better having her looked at. Again even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week so please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian