Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old Gordon Setter started having seizures 6 weeks…

Hello, my 10 year...

Hello, my 10 year old Gordon Setter started having seizures 6 weeks ago. The seizures usually happen during times of excitement. Exercise, barking, going in the car etc. The thing is if I see it about to happen I can talk him down from a full seizure and food seems to distract him and bring him out of it faster. Have you ever heard anything like this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Yes terrifying! Sargent is his name. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sargent?

Recently I changed his food ( he had gotten bored of it) at this time I also moved house. During this time he lost 9kgs. I changed his food back to the original and he has put back on 4kgs.

3/22/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about Sargent. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
This is a common issue in dogs. There are many dogs who only have seizures during times of stress. There are both internal and external factors that can contribute to seizures. It is important to try to determine if the seizure activity is primarily external and mediated by his environment or if there is a possibility of something internally triggering the seizures as well. We could certainly be dealing with both. Seizures commonly occur when the canine’s brain has a change in activity, which can occur through stimulation from the environment, things around the house, foods, medications and of course, stress. Given his age, I would strongly recommend at least going to your veterinarian and having some blood work done to make sure that is electrolytes, liver and kidney values are all within normal limits. In a perfect world it would also be nice to have x-rays to rule out any type of masses.
It is really good that you are able to somewhat talk him out a seizure or down from a seizure and make him more comfortable. Obviously it would be nice to avoid those things that trigger the seizure activity altogether. The next step with him, I believe, would be to have him examined and have some blood work done. It is then your decision whether or not you feel he's at a point where the seizure activity is so frequent that he needs to be on medication to improve his quality of life. You did not mention how frequently he is having seizures however if it is multiple times a week then certainly medicating maybe something to discuss.
I hope you find this information somewhat helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. If you are satisfied with my assistance a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week, so keep me posted. Sincerely Dr. Nicole
He has seen a vet and had his bloods done, all clear. He is now having pre seizures (the one I can talk him down from and full seizures every fortnight. I will speak to my veterinarian about x rays and lifelong medication. Can you please tell me the side effects of the medication?
Okay. That is great that he has had blood work done. He is certainly having the seizures very regularly which I feel warrants medication at this point. I understand it is very personal decision though.There are a number of different medications that are used for seizures and everyone has different side effects. There are some newer ones that we are using in veterinary medicine which include but are not limited to Keppra and zonisamide. These tend to be very well tolerated and dogs and have minimal side effects from what I have seen. We also do not have to do any blood work monitoring while on these medications however I always tend to monitor liver and kidney values at least annually when starting seizure medications just to be on the safe side. Of course any medication can cause stomach upset. the other medications that have been most commonly used in veterinary medicine in the past include phenobarbital and potassium bromide. when these medications are started your pet would need to have blood work to determine that they are in the therapeutic range. Overtime, the phenobarbital can certainly cause liver enzyme elevations and has been known to cause excessive drinking and weight gain. I think most veterinarians if they only have the option between these two meds typically start with potassium bromide.
Again, please remember that even after the rating this conversation will be open for a week so please send me any questions you may have. Take care. Doctor N
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much.
Sincerely
Mark