Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a litter of puppies that turned 3 weeks on March 19.

I have a litter...

I have a litter of puppies that turned 3 weeks on March 19. I have lost 3 since March 18. The vet performed an autopsy on the second one to pass. He diagnosed him with CHV. I now have one that will breathe fast, then slow, then almost stop breathing for a few seconds. Still appears alert when awake, but sleeps the most out of the litter. He is more interested in nursing than eating softened chow (mom is barely producing milk anymore). I am afraid to take him to the vet because they'll just want to put him down since there is no cure for CHV. But am i making him suffer or can he pull through this since he is 3+weeks?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

They were wormed monday, and they are all on antibiotics right now. The vet initially thought we were treating a bacterial infection, but opted to keep them on antibiotics just in case. His temp was 101 on Tuesday.

Hello??
Can someone please acknowledge that my answer has been received? I am already upset that I had to spend $20 upfront rather than my $5 "good faith" deposit.
3/22/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am sorry your question was not answered earlier. If this puppy seems to be more interested in nursing, have you attempted to feed him a puppy nursing formula?

It is true that we cannot cure CHV, but some puppies have survived the disease on their own, & some have been nursed through the early periods of the virus by raising their body temps to 101F ( so your puppy is already there ), & treating with the antiviral medication Famcyclovir. No guarantees with this but it is worth a try.

Please continue with any additional questions yo might have.

I meant Acyclovir, not Famcyclovir.

Thanks for your response - I'm just very anxious and cannot bare to lose a fourth. Interesting, an antiviral had not been an option at this point.
I do have a video of his breathing pattern from about an hour ago - would that help if I sent it?

It is a human drug, not one routinely used in dogs, & of course, no promises that it will help your puppy, but it has been used for several years.

Honestly, not really. X-rays & viral isolation testing would be much more useful. The difficult breathing pattern would be just as evident if this was any other bacterial, viral or fungal pneumonia.

I see - thank you for your honesty. I just don't know what to do at this point. My local vet was unavailable to see the third one so the other vet at the practice saw her. He was quick to make the decision to put her down. I feel as though I did not give her enough time. So I am afraid to take this boy in too soon, but I also do not want him to suffocate to death like the first two basically did. Sounds like I need a shrink for myself more than a veterinarian lol

Oh dear, do not sell yourself short. This is very stressful for you, too.

I always feel that to try & save a pet is the number one priority. If this puppy still wants to eat & is able to do so, there is a chance. You know best if the puppy is suffering.

Does your vet have the ability to place the puppy in an oxygen chamber? This would be ideal to do & at the same time start the antiviral medication. Dying from suffocation is a horrible death, but every poor soul that died from the flu this past season essentially did the same, & the doctors fought to the last second to save each & every one of them. I think we should do this with our 4 legged patients, too. Of course, costs do come into the picture.

It does not hurt to discuss this with your vet, or see if there is a specialty clinic that might be able to help you further.

he put the second one in an O2 chamber and warmed him with warm saline bottles. He made it through the night, but died early the next morning.

So if he can also do the acyclovir, your pup might make it. I have a colleague who pulled several German Shepherd puppies through CHV with this protocol. They were also 3 weeks of age, & 4 had previously died.

How can he get acylovir? I only ask because he told me that he was under the impression that there was no antiviral for puppies. He has also never treated a litter with CHV.

It should be available through any pharmacy ( Wal Mart or Walgreens ). Many veterinary distributers carry it. I get mine from Midwest Veterinary Supply, so he should be able to order it for next day through his distributer. But if a local pharmacy carries it, you may be able to get it today if your vet can call it in.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian