Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

9 yr-old beagle. neutered. Has had hemheroids since. Hemerp.

Customer Question
9 yr-old beagle. neutered...

9 yr-old beagle. neutered. Has had hemheroids since

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the beagle?

Hemerp

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the beagle seem to hurt?

Rectum. bleeding. also no energy or appetite for 1 wk +. very wew

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the beagle. What is the beagle's name?

Milo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?

Some trouble breathing. very weak, staggering, leaning sometimes.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Milo. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
it sounds like he has had some rectal issues in the past however there might be another issue present. Did his symptoms of weakness and lethargy just start when the rectal bleeding started? There are lots of dogs who have rectal issues such as anal gland infections or polyps or other masses that can cause bleeding that don't necessarily have trouble breathing weakness or staggering. Are you able to tell if there is any type of a large mass around the anal area?
In my opinion given his age and his symptoms of difficulty breathing, weakness, staggering and overall poor doing, he should have a physical exam. It would be important to have his heart and lungs listen to, abdominal palpation and a rectal exam to make sure he doesn't have a large mass present. Some dogs can develop anal gland tumors that can metastasize and cause a problem however I think you would be able to determine if he was having some major issues passing stool Etc
I wish I could give you some advice of things to do at home to resolve the issue however we have to determine what the biggest problem is at this point and treat that appropriately. Obviously at his age it would be great to have some blood work done as well to determine if he has any kind of underlying organ diseases such as liver or kidney issues. This is not a situation where I obviously can make a diagnosis over the Internet or tell you just to monitor. It sounds like he really should be seen sooner rather than later. I hope that makes sense.
I did not hear back from you. I hope all is okay. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance, i v star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian