Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got up on the table and ate a piece of cake (vanilla,

My dog got up...

My dog got up on the table and ate a piece of cake (vanilla, strawberry and cream_ and a dessert we call Dulce de Coco which contains shredded coconut mixed with some ginger, brown sugar, and water. Is it harmful?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Havoc - he is 11 years old. No health problems

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No he is ia 45 lb pit bull in good health.

3/22/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Alight. This situation shouldn't be a bad one for Havoc. Those ingredients in that cake aren't toxic for dogs. The things that can be in baked / desserts that are bad for dogs are raisins, grapes, chocolate and any candies that have xylitol in them. The ingestion of this shouldn't do anything bad except for those with a more sensitive stomach cause some diarrhea or a bit of nausea. I wouldn't expect the normal dog of his size to have any issues from this.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thank you very much. Very helpful response. I know about chocolate and don't keep it in the house I didn't know about grapes. What kind of Canyon had xylitol? Havoc seems fine. Great service!!!

The grape / raisin toxicity is something that a lot of dog owners don't know about. If enough grapes or raisins are eaten (the exact reason for a toxicity is still being determined), it can cause acute renal failure. Xylitol is found in a lot of sugarless products as it is the replacement for sugar. At my ER, the most common product seen for its ingestion is sugarless gums that have it in it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?