Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 pound shitzhu Pomeranian mix licked my face about 10…

My 15 pound shitzhu...

My 15 pound shitzhu Pomeranian mix licked my face about 10 minutes after I used a salicylic acid face wash, and im just wondering if I should be concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No, there's nothing odd about her behavior or anything, but it only happened like 30 minutes ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog's exposure to the salicylic face wash. I'm sorry this has happened and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

(typing more...)

This is one of those cases where I'm happy to let you know there isn't anything risky about this at all. You should be able to happily accept her kisses after using this type of wash.

Was this a medicated wipe you used and left on your skin? Or was it an actual wash that you suds up with then rinsed off?

It was a wipe.
I just couldn't find anything about dogs and salicylic acid online so it had me worried

Good to know, thanks. Yes, even though the wipe leaves the residue on your face, this will not be harmful to your dog. It will be a best practice moving forward to try to avoid kisses until the wipe has been completely dry for thirty minutes. However, with it being only ten minutes this time, it is still not expected to be harmful. It's just that you want the product to stay on your face and not get washed off so soon, just so it can work.

I do hope this information helps. I know what it's like to worry about your baby, but you can rest assured this won't hurt her.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now?

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
That's all I have. Thank you very much. I'll be keeping an eye on her anyway, but you've been very helpful in helping me calm down.

I'm so glad I could help. It sounds like she's in excellent hands. Thank you very much.