Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Before I could stop her, my 5 month old puppy drank some of…

Hi! Before I...

Hi! Before I could stop her, my 5 month old puppy drank some of the water I was using to rinse my sponge that I was using to wipe up excess caulk from the trim in my home. I was searching to see how bad this is for her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

She has refused her puppy food today, and is not drinking as much as normal. She has had diarrhea. She is less active. I offered bland, steamed chicken--she ate all of that. Not sure what else to do. Vet said to call product poison number--I did, but it's only for people. Turned to web for more info. She is 30 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the puppy ate?

She drank water that contained dissolved latex caulk. With silicone. I'd say she had three drinks before I could remove her head from the bucket.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, not that I can think of.

3/22/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Sorry to hear that your puppy licked the rag! Fortunately, the worst signs I would except would be mild vomiting and/or diarrhea, and nothing more than that. The silicone in the caulk might be irritating to the GI tract, but it's not toxic.

glad to hear that it's not toxic! She did do more than lick it, though--she got three good drinks in before I could pull the bucket away from her. I know the caulk was diluted in the water, but still, she is little and I just wanted to check all the possible things I could to make sure I was doing all I could. Thank you!

Some types of caulk can contain ethanol, which if swallowed in concentrated amounts (98%) can cause kidney damage. However, IF there is any ethanol in what she drank, it would only be about 3% which will cause no harm.

Thank you very much! I'm sticking with a bland diet for her for a day or two, just to make sure she's eating. I really appreciate this service!!

You're welcome! If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

I will gladly give a 5-star rating. I do not have any other concerns at this time. Thank you, again. Have a wonderful day, Dr. Rachel!

Thanks, ***** *****!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
She is doing well--back to eating and acting like her normal, puppy self! Thank you for following up.