Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

This 9 year old Dobie is feeling blah, but eating when

Hi! This 9 year...

Hi! This 9 year old Dobie is feeling blah, but eating when tempted. PCV 26%, low RBC and HCT, low PLT.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Elevated MCH, Retic, WBC, Neu, Baso. Slightly elevated Glob

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

9year old Doberman, Canine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Doberman?

As I said, she is feeling out of sorts, but has an appetite when tempted with good food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Doberman's name and age?

Lilly, 9 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lilly?

Really? 9 YEAR OLD

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?

She is indoor, doesn't really leave home, and doesn't eat weird things. She is a bit of a drama queen.

3/22/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Lilly is lethargic and has a low red blood cell count and elevated white blood cell count. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Could you also please tell me if x-rays or ultrasound have been performed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet, we have an appointment for ultrasound tomorrow. Should we be thinking "tumor"?

It is possible, but there are other things that can cause this as well. Immune mediated diseases can also cause a low red blood cell count and elevated white blood cell. Acute infections can cause it as well, so there are definitely some other things that can do this. However, getting images of the abdomen will definitely be recommended because certain tumors will end up being there if that is the case.

Antibiotics will likely be recommended since there appears to be a response with the neutrophils (Neu), which are white blood cells that are made to fight off acute infections.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** do a u/a today and ultrasound tomorrow.

That is a good plan. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian