Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 yr old Airedale ate 1/2 of a "rubber" shoe insole from…

My 5 yr old Airedale...
My 5 yr old Airedale ate 1/2 of a "rubber" shoe insole from a water sandal. Think it will pass? Toxic? It was from a Sperry boat shoe.
3/22/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. When did the ingestion occur?

sometime between 8:30AM and 12:30PM today
Dr. Rachel...did you see the last response?

Has he vomited at all?

no

Okay, I would try to induce vomiting to see if any part of the sandal comes up. You can put around 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in some milk and offer it to him to drink. If there is no vomiting in an hour, I would watch for signs of obstruction, the most common one being continuous vomiting/inability to keep down any food or water. If he has those signs, I would get him into the vet for abdominal x-rays to check for GI obstruction.

5 Tablespoons sounds like a huge amount; she weighs 50lbs.
also, it was the thin insole; not the actual sandal ( thanks goodness :) )

You can start with 2 tablespoons and safely go up to 5 if you are concerned about the amount. We just want to make sure we want her to drink enough that it actually does something.

ok; thank you, ***** ***** didn't want to give her too much

You're welcome. I don't think 5 tablespoons would be too much. And, if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Very helpful, my only other questions is if she ingested it 4-5 hours ago; has it already left her stomach?

Probably not. I would think rubber would take a longer time to be digested (if it were digested at all).

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
I gaver her the Hydrogen Peroxide and she vomitted the insole up! All is well. thanks for your assistance