Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She threw up a little and now is drooling a LOT. She is Very…

She threw up a...

She threw up a little and now is drooling a LOT.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She is Very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Mattie and she is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mattie?

Her breathing is a little different

3/22/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Mattie threw up and is drooling and lethargic. It sounds like she is probably nauseous. A change in breathing can be due to pain, respiratory problems, or heart problems. In her case I would guess that she is breathing because she might have abdominal pain that is making her nauseous. There can be a few different reasons for nausea. Older dogs are at risk of developing a few different conditions that can cause nausea and lethargy, including kidney disease, liver disease, hyperadrenocorticism, pancreatitis, diabetes, and (hopefully not the case) - cancer. Since there could be so many things going on, I recommend getting Mattie to your vet's office for some lab work. Until you can get her in for an appointment, you can try giving Pepcid to help settle her stomach. About how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
13pds

Okay, you can give her a 5 mg Pepcid tablet every 12 hours until you can get her in for lab work.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
She won't put her head down and it sounds as if her nose is plugged up

That can be an indication of sinus congestion. She may be keeping her head up due to sinus pressure. To diagnose this, your vet would recommend doing a skull x-ray to check for fluid in her sinuses.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian