Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a new miniature poodle puppy. I bought her from a…

We have a new...

We have a new miniature poodle puppy. I bought her from a poodle show dog breeder in Houston. The puppy was delivered to us in GA on Tuesday. I didn't know what vaccinations she had been given. I took her yesterday to our vet in GA for her first puppy check-up here. She was given a parvo shot and a bortadello shot. I didn't have a record of what the vet in Houston did. So the GA vet gave her both shots. The breeder texted me to see how the puppy was doing. I told her that the puppy had gotten a bortadella and parvo shot. She freaked out. She said that our puppy could die from that because she had those shots late last week in Houston. I called the vet in GA, and he said that as long as she didn't have a reaction in an hour or so, she wouldn't die. I don't know whom to believe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

She has vaginitis, but the worry of mine are the different vaccines given so close together. I think the vaccines were given last Friday in Houston, and then again in GA. The breeder didn't give me the puppy's medical records.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

She doesn't She feels great. She is running around on our enclosed patio and having a ball.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No. But we just got her on Tuesday. We paid $3000 for her. Her parents are show dogs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the puppy eating normally?

Yes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the puppy having trouble peeing or pooing?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the puppy behaving differently?

Again, we just got her on Tuesday afternoon. So we don't know if she's behaving differently. She seems to be feeling awesome.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't think I need a phone call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there>

I am sorry to hear that the breeder has caused you so much anguish over your puppy getting another set of vaccines from your veterinarian when you took her in for a physical examination.

Please do not worry.

Your puppy is not going to die from another set of vaccines given soon after the ones given in Houston.

Vaccines are an immune stimulant, it is not like giving your puppy the disease itself. So it is not like she was exposed to the real infection or that she given too much medication. Her immune system was simply stimulated twice. Some dogs do have vaccine reactions, and if that were the case with her she could feel sick, showing signs of muscle soreness, fever, possibly hives and difficulty breathing, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

But she seems to be feeling just fine, 24 hours after her vaccines, so I doubt that you will see any issue.

I have more to write but I wanted you to know this to start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I'll wait until you finish writing.

Some breeders have their own way of doing things. They are not always based on research and fact, but rather their preference or perhaps information from other breeders.

Many breeders have great expertise on animal husbandry and nursing care, but I prefer to follow protocol based on research and proven studies when we are dealing with vaccines and medications.

Ideally you should have received a complete vaccine history to share with your veterinarian BEFORE the puppy came, or at least with the puppy. That could have avoided this altogether and allowed you to rationally plan her care.

As it is truly no harm was done given the puppy's apparent good health now, running around, eating and drinking.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism from this breeder. The puppy is a product of a Campanile dog and a Clarion dog, both of which are champions. With our previous show dog, we and the breeder both signed long contracts and were given complete pedigree and health info. That information wasn't done by this breeder.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She also said that our puppy could have permanent organ damage from the two different vaccines given so close together. Is that a possible problem waiting for us up the road?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Campanile and Clarion have both had dogs at Westminster. The Campanile owner referred us to the breeder in Houston.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have I timed out?

Oh my goodness!

NO, there will not be permanent organ damage. Vaccines stimulate the immune system to remember a disease, they cause it to produce antibodies and humoral immunity, they affect the immune system not her kidneys or liver.

There could be organ damage if a dog had a reaction to a vaccine and produced inflammatory immune/antibody proteins and inflammatory products. But vaccine reactions can happen even with the normal protocol of vaccines being given every 3-4 weeks, or yearly. Vaccine reactions are an over-reaction of the immune system to stimulation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for relieving my mind. I will give you 5 stars.

This sounds like a breeder looking for a reason to blame you should any health issues occur down the road.

While this breeder may have champion bloodlines their communication and understanding of immune competency and function are not up to par nor accurate.

I am sorry to hear that they have scared you un-necessarily.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian