Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is about eleven years old. was a stray. she started…

Customer Question
Hi. my dog is...

Hi. my dog is about eleven years old. was a stray. she started out with cherry eyes. got one repaired and had to remove it on the left side.i've been using restasis and refresh for a long time.then she started gaining weight and overeating. shr has deveveloped a pot belly and she snorts and snoers really bad all the time.the vet took xrays and said she has big heart and big liver and fluid on her lungs. she ut her on lasix 50 mg adn blood pressure pills and antibiotic. do dogs recover from this?she is so sweet and i love her, but i only get social security and do not know if i can keep up the maintenence/

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she also has seizures and i giver primadol i get the lasix from my neighbor who only takes part of her precription. boomer is about eleven years old and i have als two chuahuas that was swt out on my property. but boomer is the sick one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boomer?

She has developed this large appetite and eats like she is starving. she snores as soon as she lays down. and even when she is walking

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Boomer is sick. Both heart and liver disease can cause accumulation of fluid in the abdomen (ascites). Your vet thought her heart looked large on x-ray, which is suspicious for heart disease, but not confirmatory. Ultrasound is helpful in figuring out whether the ascites is due to liver or heart disease (or both). Another way to check for liver disease is to have your vet do a blood test called a bile acids test, which measures liver function. Heart disease can be treated with heart medication and lasix for a period of time to give Boomer a good quality of life for a longer period of time, if in fact he has heart disease. Liver disease is treated with some liver supplements and supportive care including appetite stimulants and pain medication. The good news is that the liver is very good at regenerating itself with the proper support. But to get him better, we would need to figure out whether the main problem is being caused by the liver or the heart. A cheap way to do this would be to run the bile acids test. If it is normal, we can confidently say that heart disease is what is going on, and treat with the appropriate medications.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian