Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Around the area of my dogs nose is turning pink. It only…

Customer Question
Around the area of...

Around the area of my dogs nose is turning pink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

It only started about 4 days ago and now all around is nose is pink. He seems to lick it a lot more too

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

It doesn’t seem like he is in pain but there is less fur in the places it is turning pink

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Cody

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?

He is a Chuawa Peekaneese mix (please forgive my bad spelling)

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Cody appears to be having some skin issues. Does he also lick his paws? How old is he?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He isn’t licking his paws excessively if that is what you mean. From what I can tell he does seem to lick his nose a lot

Do you see any discharge coming out of his nose? How are his appetite and energy level?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His appetite has been less lately and energy about the same. No discharge from what I can tell

And how old is he?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5years old

I'm a little concerned about the decreased energy level. Sometimes clear nasal discharge is not obvious because the dog continually licks it off, causing their nose to be raw. Another possibility is that he's got allergies. You can try giving him some Benadryl. About how much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs 10lbs

Okay, you can give him one tablet of 25 mg Benadryl. If it helps, he probably has allergies and might need Benadryl long-term. You can apply vaseline to the raw skin around his nose.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excellent thank you

You're very welcome. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian