Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy ate a large bully stick yesterday. I gave it to him…

Customer Question
My puppy ate a...

My puppy ate a large bully stick yesterday. I gave it to him and left to warm up my lunch and came back and it was gone. I couldn't believe it. I have given to him before and I take it away after he nibbles on it a bit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Crockett

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Have you seen any vomiting or diarrhea since he ate the bully stick? How is his appetite?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No diarrhea. He has pooped 3 times since he ingested the bully stick yesterday at noontime. I have looked at it and no blood. seems very dense not runny.
This morning he vomited a little, it was all clear like water. he stretched like to stretch his stomach.
He ran around and played like he normally does this morning.
He pooped this morning and he ate his breakfast fine. I tried making him white rice but he did not eat it, I don't think he likes it. I gave him some treats and he ate those no problem I did give him a little soft canned dog food, I read that it would help digestion and soften. His appetite seems normal.

Ok, great. I would do the following for the next 2-3 days to help the bully stick pass through. If you notice any vomiting or not wanting to eat, i would take him in to the vet for a check up to make sure the bully stick isn't getting stuck.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help the bully stick pass. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian