Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 30 lb Boston terrier. He was accidently given my…

He is a 30...

He is a 30 lb Boston terrier. He was accidently given my husband's Blood pressure medication Valsatran 160 mg. I used peroxide to induce vomiting. He just vomited. Will he be okay? He had just taken it 5 minutes before I induced. We can't find the pill but everything he ate came up. He had had his dry dog food and then got the pill in a little wet food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your husband's Boston Terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Boston Terrier's name?

Freckles.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Freckles?

He has been diagnosed with lymphoma and is taking prednisone and an antacid which is what we were preparing to give him. he seems to be acting normal

3/22/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Freckles.

What was the milligram amount of the Valsartan that he ate?

Deb

160mg as stated

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Also, my apologies for missing the dosage amount which you included in your original question:( Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. As long as the extra charge is not there. Now it has been an hour.
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

You shouldn't be charged any additional fees since I rejected your telephone request but customer service can be contacted if there's any concerns that you were.

Fortunately, Freckles should be fine. Even if he didn't vomit the majority of the pill after you induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, he should be fine.

An experimental study was done with this drug in dogs with cardiac failure to determine if it would be as effective for them as it would be for humans. 400 mg per day was given for 3 months and no adverse side effects were seen. There weren't any significant benefits to the canine patients which is why it's not used but the point I'm making is that 160 mg ingested by a 30 pound dog shouldn't pose any toxicity issues.

I hope this helps to reassure you. Deb

I suspect you inadvertently selected the rating's icon but I hope to have earned your rating. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb