Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's pair of eyes external area which is the eyes

Customer Question
My dog's pair of...

My dog's pair of eyes external area which is the eyes discharge area portraying 5mm spot of rough dark grown substance......what is that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

His name is ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Called?

My district has no veterinarian and this baby dog I raise since his 2 months old breed by his mother stray dog but my family feed all the stray dog everyday yet this baby is not stray dog because baby do not sleep outside of house compound

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

hi am in hurry hello

2/4 pictures are rather blurry so it's hard to see what you are seeing. How long have you owned Baby?

since his birth 8-9 months I raising his mother so he own by me since day 1

The periorbital tissue does not appear to be shrinking in size so much as your companion is squinting. I do think there is potential for there to be a fungal or even bacterial component here. The first thing I would try would be antihistamines. I would recommend trying 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours given orally. This should help with the squinting if there is a concern of allergies. I would also use clean water and a wash cloth and wipe the eyelids and surrounding tissue 1-2x daily to prevent any discharge buildup. Do you have antihistamines available for purchase OTC or do you need assistance finding them on the internet?

antihistamines? for dog use only?

Antihistamines for human use, as well. Benadryl is what I'd recommend.

i come back to you i am searching locally if i can get the medication you advised for my dog

Certainly. If you need help finding it on the internet, let me know.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

yesterday I bought the antihistamines and following your instruction of the dosage to him.
today morning I observed that his both eyes external areas as per images I sent to you
slightly expanded yet drying out it seems to me
besides since he could not speak his actions I assume that most of the times he feels itchy
and I at least 2-3 times warm water dissolve some salt and rubbing his eyes using cotton bud
2-3 times daily

It sounds like he's improving. Keep using the medication, if so. It may take 3-5 days of regular dosing to see the most benefit from the Benadryl.

am using antihistamines instead not benadryl.....!?
I forgot to inform you that my companion seems sleepy after taking the medication

What is the name of the medication you're using? Benadryl was the one we discussed yesterday.

antihistamines right

Benadryl is an antihistamine. What is the name of the medication you're using?

i would also seek your expertise that I suspicious that my dog's eyes was poisoned by my wicked neighbor
because last week my companion heavily wounded my neighbor's dog and my neighbor arouse in anger
vow wanting to broken my dog's leg and then my dog's eyes tragedy ensue
another issue if my mum bathing my companion if accidentally body lotion spinkle his eyes it shouldn't
has such consequential effects to his eyes right?

Can you answer my question above, please?

my clinic panel doctor supply the antihistamine to me and I was told that " dexchloramine " is belong to antihistamine group
I showed my clinic panel doctor our conversation just in case to be accurate of the medication you suggested and certainly it should be wrong medication ....
it shouldn't be wrong medication typo error
hello?

Dexchloramine is similar to an antihistamine used in dogs called Chlorpheniramine. It is not, however, benadryl as we had discussed. If you're using too much of the medication, this could be why your companion is sleepy following administration. This is not, however, a medication for which I have a dosage.

As far as your suspicion that your dog was poisoned, it would be unlikely for someone to be able to do it through the eyes. And if he's improved with antihistamine therapy, it's more likely that allergies are the cause. If your companion has injured their dog, you'll need to keep closer tabs on him to prevent this from happening in the future. I recommend that everyone keep their dog indoors, under their watchful eye, as this is the only way to be sure the dog goes unharmed.

His eyes could develop similar symptoms if cosmetic products like lotion were to make contact. I still suspect allergies, however.

the benadryl you are suggesting is in liquid form or capsule form?

Capsule. It comes in 25mg and 50mg options. You can easily purchase it online, if needed.

Checking in. How is Baby doing today?

seriously today seems no improvement back to before he has medication condition I started worrying how?

How frequently have you been giving the antihistamine?

Are you using the benadryl?