Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pit husky mix just ingested about 3 oz. chocolate

Customer Question
My pit bull husky...

My pit bull husky mix just ingested about 3 oz. chocolate hazelnut spread. The whole recipe contained 3 tbsp. Baking cocoa and it made about 3 to 4 cups originally. Should I be concerned? He’s almost 1.5 years and I think somewhere around 80 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the pit will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

No that’s it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Oh geez! I bet it was delicious! I would not be worried about this amount...it should not cause any major issues. You may see some upset belly which you can treat with 20mg pepcid AC twice daily and bland diet for a day or two (boiled chicken/hamburger and rice).

Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

How's he doing?

He’s doing fine. Your answer was great, I’ve just not rated the service because I opted for the trial membership under the impression I would have an answer “within 8 minutes.” 13 minutes later, nothing. It was hours before you were able to answer which is not your fault but I needed guidance sooner in order to induce vomiting if needed. I called my vet and found they had an after hours service that I can freely access. Just answer promised something they couldn’t deliver and $20 later here I am. I’m happy with your answer and your service. Not happy with justanswer and paying $20 just to in the end get an answer from the place I should have called first.

Glad he's doing ok. I'll flag customer service for you.