Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog vomits eight hours after eating. Its like clockwork…

My dog vomits eight hours...
My dog vomits eight hours after eating. Its like clockwork and has been going for a couple of weeks. We have tried a chicken and rice diet and also a special dry food for sensitive stomachs. It has not worked. He had blood tests and they came back fine. I feel like my vet isn't really offering any solutions except expensive diagnostics. The vomiting started after he had surgery for a slipped disc and was put on metacam. He was then put on omeprazole to counteract the metacam which they thought was causing the vomiting. He has been off all medication for two days. The vomiting generally happens at 2pm and 2am. He is fed at 6am and 6pm. Sometimes he only vomits once.
3/22/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's true that costly diagnostics may be needed to diagnose Eccles properly - imaging in the form of an X-ray barium study looking for anatomical abnormalities in the esophagus or stomach, fluoroscopy to examine motility of his gastrointestinal tract, and/or scoping and biopsy of his GI tract looking for inflammatory bowel disease or infiltrative neoplasia. You can however, treat presumptive delayed gastric emptying - an important consideration when early morning vomiting occurs following an evening meal - with a gastric promotility drug such as metoclopromide dosed at 0.1 - 0.25 mg/lb prior to bedtime. Feel free to share our conversation with Eccles's vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was originally prescribed omeprazole. I have some of this left. Would this work until I can get the metoclopromide? He stopped vomitting on the omeprazole but they asked me to take him off it for a couple of days for a food restriction test to see if that would help. It didn't and I haven't been instructed to put him back on the medication even though it seemed to work.

Omeprazole is an excellent antacid but has no prokinetic action as does metoclopramide (which also is a weak antacid). I see no reason to stop administration of omeprazole at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I trialled feeding him a tiny amount of food in between breakfast and dinner today and he did not vomit. What does this mean? Also I am not sure how I can continue this kind of feeding structure when I am at work.

I don't believe it has any meaning. However, if I suspect delayed gastric emptying, I suggest that smaller and more frequent meals are given during the day rather than a large one in the evening. I understand that that may not be practical for you, however.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. He vomitted again today so obviously did not mean anything! I will request a trial for the metaclopramide from my vet.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian