Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Malinois is very obedient......however, if he gets out of…

My Malinois is...

My Malinois is very obedient......however, if he gets out of the house or yard on accident...he will not come to me. He wants me 2 take him on a hike.....or play ball,..or play stick with him. If I do any of those things he comes to me. Sometimes I don't have the time....I feel like he is training me. What should I do?? Bobs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

Crius... .a Malinois rescue....5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Crius?

He is fear aggressive....currently competing in agility...doing very well....more comfortable in an agility environment than anywhere else.

3/22/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It does sound like he is training you. Many dogs don't come when called because they have learned that the only time they are called is when fun time is over. People call their dogs to them to make them come inside or to stop chasing prey (cats) or to be put on leash (end of free running time) or even crated. The only association they have with the come command is negative.

.

Additionally, dogs find chase to be a highly amusing game and have learned that if they get close to a human, the human might chase them. They love a good game. So what you need to do is make coming to you more pleasurable.

.

The easiest way is to reward your dog with small tiny treats and praise whenever your dog comes to you when you give the command. Do this even when the dog wants to come to you. After a few treats, the dog will associate coming to you with getting treats and praise. Outside, you will want to use a long lead. Do not drag your dog to you, but say the command and if the dog doesn't come, give the leash a short tug. Start with short distances and gradually extend the distance as your dog becomes more familiar with the command. Over time, you will reduce the treats and increase the praise until praise is the only reward. Another thing to remember is to never call a dog to you to discipline it, go to the dog. During training I don't call a dog to me unless it is going to be pleasant for the dog. I usually don't have much of a problem since the dogs quickly learn that I have thinly sliced hot dog treats just waiting for them to obey me.

.

I alway recommend starting inside since most dogs are more than willing to come when inside. You can even have a helper and both call the dog to them in turn rewarding the dog for coming to you.

Now it sounds like you might also be able to use the ball or stick as a reward too. Call him to you and then throw the ball for him Even if it is just throwing it once. Any reward that works can be used. This should take care of the problem and he should come to you every time.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
I am completely aware of everything you said. I am always positive when I call my dogs and treat them......even the Mal comes all the time......except when he 'escapes'.....gate to the yard left open or door to the house left open. If I have the time, a little play or walk.....wala, he comes....and yes he knows if he comes when I don't have time he just gets put in the yard or house no fun. He is obedience trained, trained in agility.....I live in the mountains where off leash hiking is common.....I have no problem at all with recall.....even calling him off of deer or bears, easy. The only time is when he escapes....he wants to be entertained 24 / 7.....he is very high drive & energy.....but 24 / 7 is simply not possible....I do have responsibilities. Crius does get a lot of interaction every day even if it's just tricks in the living room. This one behavior has me at a loss.....treats and praise doesn't work.

You might try an invisible fence system for use when he is not supposed to be out. It will at least keep him close. Many people use an underground fence for those times the kids leave a door or gate open so that the dog can not escape.