Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 month old French Mastiff has been eatting, drinking and…

6 month old French...

6 month old French Mastiff has been eatting, drinking and otherwise acting normal. But had thrown up a couple times earlier today. Then seemed to stop growing up for awhile and is now doing it again. It is mostly stomach bile

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Midas

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Midas?

6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Midas?

He seems to be licking his lips more than usual

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

When is the last time he vomited?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A couple minutes ago

Oh boy

I really hope that this is acute gastritis but we have to worry about a foreign body and viral infection based on the age

To confirm- still vomiting despite not eating and drinking?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No he has been eating and drinking and going to the bathroom
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
his stomach does not seem bloated

Okay

Lets try this tonight. If it does not work then he needs to go to the ER or vet in the AM

NO food for 18 to 24 hours

Water in small volumes is fine

Give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day to settle the stomach

Keep me updated on a regular basis

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I do not have zantac will pepto work?

No

Pepto bismol is not good

At the volumes we use it does not do anything other then expose them to aspirin like drugs-> Bad

Can you get some Zantac or Pepcid AC?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will

Thanks

Let get that into him ASAP

And let me know how things are going

Might pick up some pedialyte when you are out also

I will be here most of the night

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Evrything is well, thank you for checking. It turned out to be gastrointestinal, not a blockage that I was afraid of. Even though my boys was feeling better. We went to the vets office just to be safe and after some antibiotics. He is back to being a big puppy.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian