Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 year old kelpie cross has Anal Bal Adendcarcinoma. very…

11 year old kelpie...

11 year old kelpie cross has Anal Bal Adendcarcinoma. very large and described as Advanced Agrressive Tumour.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the kelpie's name and age?

He is on Lactolose to assist with his bowel movement and is straining to poo . He is active and normal otherwise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kelpie?

I'm told to operate would involve CT Scan $ 1800 and Surgery if only on Tumour $3,000 and if in lymph Node an extra$1,000.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kelpie's name?

This would give 1 to 2.5 years longivety but may leave him with 20% chance of incontinance.

3/22/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. How can I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi
Mafia is kelpies' name.
What are possible outcomes for putting Mafia on course of steroids?
Thanks
R

Hi anti-inflammatories can be used in these cases to help with the inflammation however non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are typically recommended. There's no evidence that steroids have a direct antitumor effect for any non-hematologic tumors. So, if Mafia is not symptomatic for abnormal calcium levels, not azotemic, and the Ca x P product is not high, I would probably go the non-steroidal route for now because steroids do have some negative side effects that non-steroidals don't have. Examples, would be fat gain, muscle loss, panting, drinking and urinating more, eating more, and making Mafia more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections.

I agree that the best plan is surgical excision of both the tumor site and the affected lymph nodes which gives a mean survival time greater than one year.

I hope this helps. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson