Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Shih Tzu has a cornea laceration we are treating with…

My Shih Tzu has...

My Shih Tzu has a cornea laceration we are treating with meds and drops but also we are treating dry eye with cyclosporine drops. It’s hard with all the meds sometimes she gets frustrated and moves and we accidentally squeezed too much in her wounded eye. Should we be concrete about overdose, also if she licked the drips down her cheek?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Shih Tzu will be able to digest that. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Lucy age 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She’s being treated in the eye that too much dropped into it for a laceration to her cornea that is healing well

3/22/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Lucy.

I'm sorry that she's injured her eye and I understand the difficulty of medicating her which is a common problem with a lot of dogs.

It will be quite difficult to overdose any eye medication she's receiving; typically we worry about too little drug making it into the eye rather than too much.

And, ingestion of a few drops which she might lick off of her face isn't likely to cause any issues either other than a bad taste in her mouth...depending on the mediation you're using. For example, Atropine (often prescribed for pain) has a bitter taste which she's not likely to enjoy very much.

I hope this helps, Deb

Thank you deb, it was the cyclosporine drops for dry eye that way too much got squeezed out dripped all down her eye and cheeck

You're most welcome.

Cyclosporine can actually be given as an oral medication to dogs for different conditions; ingestion of a drop or two (or a little more than this) isn't likely to pose any problems for her. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian