Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dauchsand ate part of a siffer duster and has had

Customer Question
My dauchsand ate part...

My dauchsand ate part of a siffer duster and has had diarrhea today and not eaten anything. the dog just wanted to rest today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dora maybe 5 years

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was a swiffer duster not siffer.
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me a bit more about what she ate... did hse eat the plastic handle part or just the fabric duster part? Do you know if she shredded or chewed it?

Also, did she eat it today

It is always concerning when a dog eats something that they shouldn't. The swifter duster doesn't likely pose any risk of toxic effect unless you sprayed the duster with a chemical. However, it could definitely cause intestinal irritation or a more serious risk of a blockage.

Without knowing exactly what she ate and if she chewed or shredded it into small pieces or swallowed big pieces it is impossible to know what is going on inside without X-rays and perhaps a barium swallow. My biggest concern is the duster part..... fabric like material can become entangled in the bowel and can rub against the intestinal wall causing ulceration and even intestinal perforation. Typically if this happens I would expect to see vomiting. It doesn't sound like she has had vomiting.

I would recommend getting her to a veterinarian for an X-rays as soon as possible. If you are not able to get to a veterinarian right away I would focus on getting her to take in fluids..... try some dilute chicken broth. Don't worry about food now. Give her intestine a chance to rest for at least 12 hours before you try food again. If she will not drink, or if she start vomiting or doesn't start eating in the next 12-24 hours I would definitely get her to a veterinarian.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If all your questions have been answered, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian