Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog may have swallowed a 1mg tablet of clonozopam. Angel and…

Dog may have swallowed...

Dog may have swallowed a 1mg tablet of clonozopam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Angel and she is only 18weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?

Nope. She is likely a husky lab mix Weighs about 30pounds

3/22/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I am not 100% sure she did eat one, but just in case what do I do

Got it, typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't worry about this too much, even if Angel did swallow this tablet then things should not be too bad.

2. You see this drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs and where it is the top dose rate is listed as 0.25 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given orally every 8 hours. So for your 30-pound dog, this works out as 7.5 mg. So really 1 mg is not of much concern, you may perhaps see some mild lethargy, but that's about it.

3. Please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs, including dose rates: LINK

4. Given the above, all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog for now. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Angel's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian