Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has an abscess on his but from his anal gland. It burst…

He has an abscess...

He has an abscess on his but from his anal gland. It burst and I have been testing it with calendula and St. John’s wort. I have echinacea that I want to give home but not sure how much and if I can give it to him orally. I thought it was getting better but it has reopened and seeped more pus and blood today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

No and he is 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Bo is his name

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bo?

5 years old he had impacted anal glass once about 3 years ago

3/22/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Did you still need help with this?

I do
He has a hole nothing is oozing out right now. Just a little blood

ok, I will answer....

This area needs to be cleaned everyday for 1 week with full strength hydrogen peroxide........clean very well and use generous amount of hydrogen peroxide....this will help keep the hole open for 1 week so it can drain adequately and heal from inside to outside.......

Do you have any antibiotics?

After 1 week you can stop cleaning....and allow it to heal but your dog needs some antibiotics....

I have some human antibiotics and I bought echinacea

echinacea will not help with this.....what are your human antibiotics and what does your dog weigh?

I have sulfamethoxazole/ trimeth 800 mg/160mg tab. He weighs 7.4 pounds will see if anyone here has something else

So, thanks for the pic.....but I have txed hundreds of these........we can use sulfa if we have to but it can cause permanent dry eye in some dogs......do you have anything else?

Doxycycline huckster 20 mg tab
Hyclate not huckster

ok, just a minute....

perfect, your dog can take 20 mg twice daily with food. This medicine has to be given with food and cannot be shoved down the throat as it can hurt the esophagus. So make sure to give this in a pill pocket or wrap in cheese or peanut butter.....

I would give at least 10 days -14 days of this along with cleaning as I directed.....if it comes back you will need to see your vet....

Can I answer any other questions?

Okay I have 9 days worth of those. Can I buy some antibiotics from somewhere?

9 days will have to work....you cannot buy antibiotics without a prescription......

Can I offer any further assistance to you?

No thank you!!!!

You are very welcome...best of luck to you! DRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Will do thank you

thank you...have a great night and let me know if you need additional help..DRB

Dr we found some doxycycline monohydrate at 100 mg. Which I have more of then the 20 mg can I use these?

No, this is too high a dose...just use the 20 mg.....

Okay I will do that. Thank you

sure...

Can you tell me what I can do to prevent this from the future. I used to do anal glad cleanings but then I read that is not good to do and should happen naturally

Anal gland cleanings are totally good to do and will help prevent this from happening.....I would have that procedure done every 6-8 weeks......Hope that helps, DRB