Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is almost 12 she is a Brittany. She vomited

Hi My dog is...

Hi My dog is almost 12 she is a Brittany. She vomited undigested food yesterday a few times as well as this am.She immediatly started eating the vomit. Was fine all day no food since last evening but was drinking water. I fed her a small amount of boiled turkey and rice and 2 hours later vomited it up. She immediatly ate all of the vomit as she did yesterday. She seems to be interested in food. We just let he out and she was looking for her vomit to eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She has been a healthy dog. She is active. Loves going on walks and exploring.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Does she vomit without food in the vomit?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Did she get into anything?

5- Any other symptoms?

Ok also we did not see Lucy have a bowel Movement today but she is peeing.
1. No
2. No
3. 32 pounds
4. Not that we are aware of
5. No

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

OK

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. On history alone, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. At this stage, I would highly recommend having her checked by your family veterinarian for X-rays and blood work as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

Note: When you feed her raise her dish food on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when she is eating.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Ok thank you will call the vet in the am.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter