Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just applied frontline to my golden doodle for flea and…

I just applied frontline...

I just applied frontline to my golden doodle for flea and tick prevention, and while I got it on her skin, her fur also absorbed some of it. She then used her back paw and scratched a bit, and then licked her paw. I’m kinda nervous. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Winnie. She’ll be 4 in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Winnie?

Almost 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?

Nope. She’s healthy. 55 pounds.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You needn't do anything!

Fipronil is considered a safe insecticide with a wide safety margin. It's not systemically absorbed. (Weil, 1997) Fipronil is detected on the hair shafts but is never detected in the dermis and adipose tissue, suggesting that it is absorbed and accumulated in the sebaceous glands, from which it is slowly released via follicular ducts. It has been tested and can be used in kittens and puppies as young as 8 weeks of age. It is easily removed by bathing in the first 48 hours after application before it is absorbed into the sebaceous glands. (Weil, 1997) In toxicity studies, the application of Frontline® spray to dogs and cats at a dose five times higher than recommended for 6 months did not cause any clinical, biochemical, hematological, or cutaneous abnormalities. (Consalvi, 1996) Oral doses equal to 87 pipettes in dogs and 20 pipettes in cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting. A few skin hypersensitivity reactions have been reported, most likely to the carrier. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I’m not going to lie, I didn’t understand most of that. But you said I don’t need to do anything? I don’t need to worry?

No worries. Correct, you don't need to do anything because Winnie is going to remain safe. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is there an oral flea/tick preventative that you would recommend I look into instead of topical frontline?

Yes, the newer isoxasole flea/tick preventatives such as NexGard (afoxalaner), Bravecto (fluralaner), and Simparica (sarolaner) should be considered because fleas and ticks haven't developed resistance to them to date. These are all prescription products, however, that would need to be prescribed by Winnie's vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Excellent. I’ll look into those and come armed with info for our next vet appointment. Thank you so much Dr Salkin! You’ve been extremely helpful! Have a great evening!!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?